Having reviewed all of my garden visits this past year in month-by-month galleries, it is clear that I have a few miles to put in throughout 2015. It has been wonderful to visit Kew so often, even if individual stop-overs have been for just an hour or so; and Wisley has been well represented but trips further afield have been relatively infrequent – Nymans, Wakehurst Place, Wrest Park, The Savill Garden, Mottisfont Abbey, Waterperry Gardens, Great Dixter, Ightham Mote, Knole, Emmetts Garden – and the Garden Isle, Madeira of course – busy busy me!
I thought therefore I should make a Wish List for some of the places I’d really like to take in this year and to ensure that I make time for some of the open days, events and highlights these gardens – and nurseries – are offering.
The list is possibly/probably (definitely) more comprehensive than I would ever have the time to complete and many certainly tracking further afield than a day-trip from home would allow. If I bundle near-neighbours together, I could take in one area or another in a weekend/midweek break so perhaps I’m not being too challenging in my expectations. Of course, I’m neglecting The North and will no doubt be visiting during the year, so there is even more territory to explore..
I took in the Flower Shows at Chelsea (briefly) and Hampton Court but missed many of the RHS London Shows, so I must take account of these too when booking out days in my diary.
More locally, I ought to be able to manage a day trip to include…
- Loseley Park Gardens, near Guildford, Surrey – http://www.loseleypark.co.uk/gardens
- Regent’s Park, London – https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/the-regents-park
- Hannah Peschar Sculpture Garden, Surrey – http://www.hannahpescharsculpture.com/
- Sutton House:London Breakers Yard Playhouse – http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/article-1355841742419/
- Brogdale Collections (for the Hanami Festival maybe, 11th April) Kent – http://www.brogdalecollections.co.uk/
- Penshurst Place (for the Paeonies in May/June) Kent – http://www.penshurstplace.com/
- Downderry Lavender Nurseries (late July tours), Tonbridge, Kent – http://www.downderry-nursery.co.uk/
- West Dean, near Chichester, Sussex – http://www.westdean.org.uk/Garden/Home.aspx
- Bury Court Barn (Plantsman’s Days yet to be confirmed), Farnham, Surrey – http://www.burycourtbarn.com/gardens/
- London Open Garden Squares Weekend (13 & 14th June, see http://www.opensquares.org/preview/index.html)
- RHS Hyde Hall – https://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/hyde-hall
- Beth Chatto Gardens – http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/
- Wottens of Wenhaston (late May for the Irises) – http://www.woottensplants.com/index.html
- Peter Beales Roses – http://www.classicroses.co.uk/
- Thorncroft Clematis – http://www.thorncroftclematis.co.uk/
- Hidcote, Gloucestershire – http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/hidcote/
- Kiftsgate Court Gardens, Gloucestershire – http://www.kiftsgate.co.uk/
- Iford Manor/The Peto Garden, Bradford on Avon – http://www.ifordmanor.co.uk/garden.html
- The Court Gardens, Bradford on Avon – http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/courts-garden/
- Hauser & Wirth (Gallery/Piet Oudolf planting), Somerset – http://www.thegardenhouse.org.uk/
- Wollerton Old Hall, Market Drayton – http://wollertonoldhallgarden.com/
- David Austin Roses, Abrighton (OK, a repeat visit here…) – http://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/english/advanced.asp
- Fibrex Nurseries (Pelargoniums) Stratford on Avon – http://www.fibrex.co.uk/ –
- The Garden House, Wrexham – http://www.thegardenhouse.org.uk/
I’d better get some days booked out in my diary then…
Looking back to a summer’s day in 2013.. Parcevall Hall
Parcevall Hall in July 2013 – an unexpected garden glorying in an inhospitable location in the heart of the Yorkshire Moors. We passed by the entrance on New Year’s Eve and this picture was taken a mile or so distant…